Re: Squeeze Gnome Preferences >> Removable Drives and Media

On Sat,27.Mar.10, 08:52:56, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 00:06:58 -0400 (EDT), Tom H wrote:
> > If fstab's 6th column is 0, the mount count is not checked.
>
> Of course, yes!  I forgot about that.  In the environment that I work in,
> dynamic mounts of disk partitions are rare.  They are almost always
> mounted at boot time due to an entry in /etc/fstab.  And that is where
> the mount count is checked, due to a non-zero value in the sixth column,
> and if it exceeds the filesystem-specified maximum, a check is forced
> at that time.  But if all mounts are dynamic, a check is never forced!
>
> I checked the mount options to see if a mount option could force a check,
> but the closest I came was
>
>    check={none,nocheck}
>           No checking is done at mount time.  This is the default.
>           This is fast.  It is wise to invoke e2fsck(8) every now and
>           then, e.g. at boot time.
>
> (This is from "man mount".)
>
> Unfortunately, since "none" and "nocheck" appear to be the only valid
> sub-options for the "check" option, and since it is the default, there
> does not appear to be any way to override it.  Maybe there is an
> undocumented option, like "check=whendue", or something like that, that
> can be set with tune2fs, but barring that I can't think of a way to
> force a check when a check is due, other than mounting it at boot time
> via /etc/fstab and specifying a non-zero value in the sixth column.

But the actual check is done by *.fsck, which is not invoked by mount,
but by the initscript that invokes mount (if everything is ok). I wonder
if mount even contains the code to do filesystem checking at all[1].

What I'm trying to say is that this problem is not solvable at the
kernel/mount level, but by the userland tools doing the actual mount.

[1] I doubt it since it would have to include code for every mountable
filesystem, and this goes against the "do one thing and do it well"
philosophy.

Regards,
Andrei