Re: Squeeze Gnome Preferences >> Removable Drives and Media

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 00:06:58 -0400 (EDT), Tom H wrote:
> If fstab's 6th column is 0, the mount count is not checked.

Of course, yes!  I forgot about that.  In the environment that I work in,
dynamic mounts of disk partitions are rare.  They are almost always
mounted at boot time due to an entry in /etc/fstab.  And that is where
the mount count is checked, due to a non-zero value in the sixth column,
and if it exceeds the filesystem-specified maximum, a check is forced
at that time.  But if all mounts are dynamic, a check is never forced!

I checked the mount options to see if a mount option could force a check,
but the closest I came was

   check={none,nocheck}
          No checking is done at mount time.  This is the default.
          This is fast.  It is wise to invoke e2fsck(8) every now and
          then, e.g. at boot time.

(This is from "man mount".)

Unfortunately, since "none" and "nocheck" appear to be the only valid
sub-options for the "check" option, and since it is the default, there
does not appear to be any way to override it.  Maybe there is an
undocumented option, like "check=whendue", or something like that, that
can be set with tune2fs, but barring that I can't think of a way to
force a check when a check is due, other than mounting it at boot time
via /etc/fstab and specifying a non-zero value in the sixth column.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :