Re: Squeeze Gnome Preferences >> Removable Drives and Media

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 04:46:59PM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On 20100326_151046, Freeman wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 03:31:11PM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > > I've been running Squeeze on my desktop computer for many weeks and
> > > just today noticed that "Removable Drives and Media" is not available
> > > in the Gnome Preferences menu. It is/was available in Lenny, but not
> > > Squeeze, at least not for me.
> >
> > I've got it on an up-to-date installation of squeeze/Gnome, kernel 2.6.32-3 .
> >
> > Check Preferences > Main Menu and insure it is checked.
> >

> > > Googling indicates this is a known issue,
> >
> > Specifics?
>
> Question on help sites dating back to 2008 with no answers. "What
> happened to Removable Devices... " sort of thing. The problem was
> that there was nothing specific, only questions on the topic.
>

> > > but seems to be ignored as
> > > being somehow uninteresting to GUI users, or something. I can't find
> > > anything that is Debian specific on this.
> > >

> > There is a lot of competition for "interesting" in testing. It is, after
> > all, a release still under development.  The assurances are in stable.
> >
> > > Help, please.
> >
> > I'd rather just confer.
>
> Fine. Talking to a trouble person can be a great help.
>

> > Do you even need it? Do these things not show up in Nautilus?
>
> I don't know Nautilus. What does it do? Maybe that is the answer. I'll
> look. I have trouble with non-descriptive names. But OK. Here I go. ...
>

> >   # aptitude install gnome-volume-manager
>
> This was mentioned in perhaps half the questions as perhaps being where
> the fault lay. Food for thought.

The menu item under preference is the gnome-volume-properties command (right
click for properties on the item as listed in Preferences > Main Menu) which
is a part of the gnome-volume-manager package
(http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=gnome-volume-properties&mode=filename&suite=testing&arch=any).

So at the console:

  $ gnome-volume-properties &

Should get you the dialog. If it does, back to checking your menu
configuration, Preferences > Main Menu.

If it doesn't, there is no similar bug report (which means it really isn't a
known issue in Debian).

Ergo, if you are sure you have installed gnome-volume-manager,

  $ su -c "aptitude reinstall gnome-volume-manager"

If that doesn't work, check your configs in aptitude to make sure it is
handling dependencies correctly and/or drill down through the
gnome-volume-manager listing in aptitude looking for dependency problems
and/or looking for suggested and recommended packages that seem important.

If all looks well in aptitude. And

  $ whereis gnome-volume-manager

returns something like

|freeman@Europa:~$ whereis gnome-volume-manager
|gnome-volume-manager: /usr/lib/gnome-volume-manager
|/usr/share/gnome-volume-manager
|/ /usr/share/man/man1/gnome-volume-manager.1.gz
|[1]+  Done                    gnome-volume-properties
|freeman@Europa:~$

and it won't run from the console or appear on the menu, then--

**this is your opportunity** as a testing user, a tester, to give
something back to Debian by duly filing a bug report.  Have at it!  There is
no time to loose!!  The push is on to get RCbugs down to a managable number
before the big squeeze freeze.  (300 RCbugs is the working target.  See link
below sig.)

Good luck.

--
Kind Regards,