Re: Squeeze Gnome Preferences >> Removable Drives and Media

I started a run of e2fsck on one of my USB drives and got the following:

root@big:~# e2fsck /dev/sdb1
e2fsck 1.41.11 (14-Mar-2010)
WDP-5 has been mounted 58 times without being checked, check forced.
Error reading block 119439482 (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read) while getting next inode from scan.  Ignore error<y>?

I answered 'no' and the run aborted. I did this so that I could ask about this here.
I suppose that the unreadable inode might be one that is not in use. In which case
there is no harm in overwriting it in order to correct the error. OTOH, if it is
in use there is no practical way to recover the subject file contents, so it is
pointless to do anything but 'ignore'. Is this the situation?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net