Re: Lenny in less than 32 MB of drive space?

If you want a reasonable approximation to a headless, but otherwise full Debian installation, your best bet would be to buy a 2GB USB2.0 flash drive. 32 MB isn't going to cut it. Crucial sells their "Gizmo! jr" 2 GB drive[1] for US$15. It's "about half the size of a stick of gum". (A bit pricey for only 2 GB; they sell a 4 GB drive for less than that, but it is a more conventional "thumb-drive" size. However, if physical size matters, the "Gizmo! jr" is the smallest I've found.)

I've got an NSLU2 ("slug") with 32 MB RAM and 8 MB of flash doing duty as an NTP server. It has a "Gizmo! jr" drive as it's only mass storage. Works a treat.

When using flash for a general purpose file system, you need to be careful about minimizing writes. See the debian-arm list archives for details.

Enjoy!

Rick

[1] http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT2GBUFDJNR000