Re: Problems when logging out Gnome

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 09:43:14 -0400 (EDT), Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Lenny installed on my old Pentium III often gets stuck when logging out Gnome,
> either via the panel menu or with `Ctrl-Alt-Backspace'.
>
> Does anyone have any direct experience of the same problem or can suggest what
> the cause may ever be and how to work it out?

I haven't had any problems with Lenny, but I have had problems like
this in Squeeze.  But I'm not sure if it's the same problem you're
talking about.  The basic problem is that vt7 does not get deallocated
properly.  And when gdm restarts it either hangs trying to allocate
vt7 to display the login prompt or else it allocates vt8, or vt9,
or whatever it can find.  I circumvent the problem by switching to
a virtual console, such as with Ctrl+Alt+F1, login as root, kill the
daemon "consolekit" (or something like that, I don't have access to a
machine running X right now), then run /etc/init.d/gdm restart.
But that's a circumvention, not a fix.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :