Re: Linux and Windows partitioners fail to see opposite partitions

Elmer E. Dow wrote:

page says for the command W) with rewriting the mbr as you said. It's sinking in now that evidently the mbr and the partition table are the same thing. I need to do some reading to get a better understanding of the workings of a computer system in general and the boot process in particular.

In addition to Stephen's post, which covers most of what you need to know in practical terms, there are plenty more gory details here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record

To avoid confusion, I'd add that most (all?) MBR fixing utilities don't actually touch the partition table entries, they write the first 446 bytes. Recreating a partition table by reading the raw drive data, containing unknown partition types and filesystems, is not a trivial job, and will not be attempted by a simple utility. So it's still possible for an MBR fixing utility to replace 446 bytes of correct code but leave a corrupted partition table in place.

It is also possible, but made clear not to be the case here by your fdisk listing, for partition table entries to be placed out of order on the physical drive i.e. fdisk will allow you to create hda6 with higher-numbered cylinders than hda7. Most software which reads the partition table can deal with this, some cannot and will fail to see all partitions.

There was a Microsoft-approved method of installing NT4.0 to a hard drive of greater than a certain size (I forget how big, but 8GB rings a bell) which involved two NT4.0 installations, one to a primary partition placed after an extended partition i.e. with higher cylinder numbers than the extended and logical partitions. I recall at least one piece of software, possibly Partition Magic or one of its competitors, freaking out about that.

--
Joe