Re: Linux and Windows partitioners fail to see opposite partitions

Mark wrote:
On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Elmer E. Dow <elmeredow@att.net <mailto:elmeredow@att.net>> wrote:
[snip]

    I found the answer here:

    fdisk /dev/hda

Maybe you didn't see my email reply to Debian List when you first posted this but this is exactly what I said to do, except I suggested using cfdisk via an Ubuntu Live CD.

Glad it's working though.

Mark
I appreciated your suggestion, but in my ignorance I wasn't sure what to do after I entered cfdisk. You said, "You could try and fix this using the cfdisk command via an Ubuntu Live CD, it's worked before for me to rewrite the mbr according to the partition locations it recognizes...." and I didn't equate rewriting the partition table (as the cfdisk man page says for the command W) with rewriting the mbr as you said. It's sinking in now that evidently the mbr and the partition table are the same thing. I need to do some reading to get a better understanding of the workings of a computer system in general and the boot process in particular.

Elmer