Manage window: change positions, etc.

Hi all,

I would like to do automate two related tasks on my debian box (stable), preferably without changing my window manager (because I am happy with it and would prefer a simple solution if available).

1) Change the task bar position of some windows.
I use a software (namely, eclipse) which creates when started several windows. These windows appear on the task bar on an order depending on when the windows are created. I would like them to be automatically placed where I like them to be. I have a preferred ordering in which I like to see my windows on the task bar and currently as it is not automated I have to manually change these windows positions on the task bar each time I start the software.

2) Make some windows appear on a specific desktop.
When starting a software (i.e., eclipse again), I would like to tell it to always create his new windows on the desktop number 2. Note that the new windows are all created at the software start (I don't create any new windows afterwards) and as it takes a long time to start I am usually working on a different desktop when it decides to create some windows.

Currently, to implement point 2 (or rather overcome the problem), I use devil's pie [http://burtonini.com/blog/computers/devilspie]. I configured it to *move* the windows containing the application's name to desktop 2 as soon as they appear. But it is not really satisfying: - the windows appear on my current working desktop before being moved to desktop 2. It makes the screen flickers. The screen flickers once per created window, thereby giving a very bad feel. I would prefer not being bothered by the software starting while I work on desktop 1 and find out only when I later switch to desktop 2 that the application is started with all its windows being waiting for me. - it does not work well: frequently the last window or several ones still appear on the desktop I am currently working as long as I don't click their icon, and only then are moved. - it must be running as a daemon (currently I set it up to start when I log in) although I only need it when I start the software (this is a minor problem but I mention it anyway).

Also devil's pie do not (AFAIK) solve point 1.

I know that I will probably not find a perfect solution (having none of the mentioned drawbacks), and would thereby be interested by every suggestions you could give me that would lead me to a better state than the one I am currently in. E.g. if you think that the best solution in my situation would be to drop my WM, please tell it as well. (BTW how can I know which WM I am using?)
Olivier