Re: Iceweasel (from backports) keeps busy cursor at startup

On Sun, 2010-03-21 at 22:08 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On 2010-03-21, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 20:13:22 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> >
> >> On 2010-03-21, Camaleón wrote:
> >
> > (...)

> >> I see the same behaviour with iceweasel from backports. When you launch
> >> iceweasel from the menu or a panel icon then you get start-up
> >> notification as specified in the last line of the file
> >> /usr/share/applications/iceweasel.desktop. When you launch from a
> >> terminal, that is not the case.
> >>
> >> Still, I don't know the underlying reason why iceweasel displays the
> >> busy cursor for so long. Presumably some internal initialisation is
> >> taking longer than expected. But I'm convinced that that is still the
> >> case when launching from a terminal: it's just that we are not being
> >> made aware of the fact.
> >
> > Thanks for your feedback. I think I've discovered a very "dumb" trick.
> >
> > Just creating a new launcher seems to solve the problem. You can use the
> > same options (command: iceweasel %u, description: Web browsing... etc.)
> >
> > Could you please check if it also works for you?
> >

> Yes, creating a new, minimal, .desktop file solves the problem. Here is
> the one I used:
>
>    [Desktop Entry]
>    Encoding=UTF-8
>    Version=1.0
>    Type=Application
>    Terminal=false
>    Name[en_GB]=iceweasl
>    Exec=/usr/bin/iceweasel
>    Icon[en_GB]=iceweasel
>    Name=iceweasl
>    Icon=iceweasel
>
> The browser window popped up immmediately, without the busy cursor.
>
> I would be interested to learn which part of the official .desktop file
> is responsible for the behaviour you first observed.
<snip>
We are seeing the same behavior and would very much like to solve this
problem.  I tracked down the iceweasel.desktop file
to /usr/share/applications.  I first commented out the non-language
related items that did not appear in your .desktop file above.  That did
not fix it.

I then removed all the language related entries except the default in
case it was a bad language entry.  That did not fix it.

I then replaced the file with the one you give above.  That did not fix
it.

Then I wondered if it was a location issue.  So I placed your file in
~/Desktop so it showed up as a desktop icon rather than a menu icon.
Alas that did not fix it either.  At a loss for what to try next - John