Re: Iceweasel (from backports) keeps busy cursor at startup

On 2010-03-21, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 20:13:22 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
>
>> On 2010-03-21, Camaleón wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>>> Is someone seeing that behavior or it's just me?
>>>
>>> If yes, I could report it to the backport's guys. If not, something
>>> went wrong at my side and any hints would be great :-)
>>>

>> I see the same behaviour with iceweasel from backports. When you launch
>> iceweasel from the menu or a panel icon then you get start-up
>> notification as specified in the last line of the file
>> /usr/share/applications/iceweasel.desktop. When you launch from a
>> terminal, that is not the case.
>>
>> Still, I don't know the underlying reason why iceweasel displays the
>> busy cursor for so long. Presumably some internal initialisation is
>> taking longer than expected. But I'm convinced that that is still the
>> case when launching from a terminal: it's just that we are not being
>> made aware of the fact.
>
> Thanks for your feedback. I think I've discovered a very "dumb" trick.
>
> Just creating a new launcher seems to solve the problem. You can use the
> same options (command: iceweasel %u, description: Web browsing... etc.)
>
> Could you please check if it also works for you?

Yes, creating a new, minimal, .desktop file solves the problem. Here is
the one I used:

   [Desktop Entry]
   Encoding=UTF-8
   Version=1.0
   Type=Application
   Terminal=false
   Name[en_GB]=iceweasl
   Exec=/usr/bin/iceweasel
   Icon[en_GB]=iceweasel
   Name=iceweasl
   Icon=iceweasel

The browser window popped up immmediately, without the busy cursor.

I would be interested to learn which part of the official .desktop file
is responsible for the behaviour you first observed.

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom