Re: Transferring files over SSH in the console

>> I can have as many open connections as I want, it's on the LAN. But I
>> would _prefer_ just one terminal window for both commands (SSH) and
>> file transfers.
>
> First of all, I believe the ssh protocol (not necessarily the ssh
> program) already support exactly what you want: logging in and, if you
> want, sending files through the already opened tunnel.

Exactly! The protocol obviously supports this as both sftp and the
shell are over the same ssh protocol. That is why I thought that this
ability might exist.

> PuTTY does exactly that. If you are logged in, you can press a button to
> open a (local) file browser for the remote files. Without new password
> entering. So I guess it uses the same tunnel.

I see, then it is already in the right pwd. I'd still prefer to keep
it all in one window but I will play with Putty. Thanks.

> So here's your first solution: use putty. It exists for Linux also.
>
> Second solution: if the ssh protocol supports what you want but the ssh
> program does not, then complain to whoever maintains ssh (program) to
> include that option. For example, a hotkey to switch it into sftp mode
> in the already open connection.

That would be more of a feature request than a complaint. I suppose
that OpenSSH might be the project to file the feature request to. I'll
get on that.

> More solutions (sshfs, or just giving up and typing several commands)
> have already been posted here.

Many workarounds, but the solution seems to be to file a feature
request with OpenSSH. Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com