Re: Transferring files over SSH in the console

On 22 March 2010 00:57, Selçuk Mıynat <selcukmiynat@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 00:52, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am managing a small embedded device that I SSH into over the LAN. To
>> run commands, I use KDE Konsole, and to transfer files I use Konqueror
>> and SFTP. I understand that SFTP also runs over SSH, so is there a way
>> to send files in Konsole as well? I am familiar with the FTP commands
>> such as cd, lcd, put, and get. Are there equivalent commands for SSH
>> terminal connections?
>
> Are you looking for scp?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_copy
> http://www.helpdesk.umd.edu/documents/4/4801/

No, scp is for sending files to a remote machine that the user has yet
to connect to:
localhost$ scp /path/to/file.txt user@remoteMachine /remote/path/

However, I want something like this:
localhost$ ls
file.txt
localhost$ ssh user@remoteMachine
remoteMachine$ ls
remoteMachine$ put file.txt
remoteMachine$ ls
file.txt
remoteMachine$

Of course, that "put" command does not exist in SSH (it does exist in
FTP). What _does_ work like that in SSH?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
read all list mail.