Re: [OT] iceweasel vs. Firefox

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 2010-03-21 07:54, John Hasler wrote:
>>
>> Stephen Powell writes:
>>>
>>> This is off topic, but why exactly did Debian have to rebrand Firefox
>>> as iceweasel for their distribution?
>>
>> Mozilla owns the "FIREFOX" trademark and threatens to sue anyone who
>> applies that label to patched versions.  Debian backports security
>> patches (Mozilla refuses to do so).
>
> Isn't there also the issue of copyrighted icons?

Hey,

Wikipedia has a good write-up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Corporation_software_rebranded_by_the_Debian_project

Short version (if my memory serves me correctly)

1) You cant use the firefox name without using the whole "branding"
(ie the copyrighted - and non free, icons), where as Mozilla had given
Debian an exception to this rule, they decided to clamp down.
2)When it comes down to patching older versions Mozilla wanted the
patches to go upstream for approval before they went out. (Again to
make sure there "brand" was preserved)

Regards,

Angus.