Re: pivot_root. unmount old root

Hello,

    fuser -m /home

will list the process ids which are accessing any file under /home.
Compare that to the output of "ps aux" to see which processes you
need to terminate in order to be able to umount /home.

Since I'm doing a pivot_root before trying to umount the old root there are still several processes keeping some files open inside the old root subdirs. Init is still running, als well as rc and one shutdown script (atm I'm doing the pivot_root just before shutdown, because most processes are terminted by the time). If I kill one of these processes, the systems gets shut down. I don't understand why there is still that shutdown script running, because I'm doing a exec chroot. The pivot_root's manual says: "Note that exec chroot changes the running executable, which is necessary if the old root directory should be unmounted afterwards." And the init process is always running, so how does pivot_root handle the open files of init? I did move the /proc and /dev mountpoints from old-root to the new root - might that cause some problems? If I don't do that - lsof or fuser of course don't show any open files for old-root, but I'm not able to unmount to old-root either.

K. Haselhorst