Re: pivot_root. unmount old root

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 11:43:45 -0400 (EDT), Katharina Haselhorst wrote:

> no, I don't have X. I just tried to mount --move /dev and /proc to the
> new root before actually doing the pivot-root. proc/mounts doesn't show
> any mountpoints under old-root afterwards, but an umount still gives
> device busy...

Perhaps the "fuser" command would come in handy here.  "fuser" is part
of the psmisc package and is useful for determining what process or
processes are preventing a device from being unmounted.  For example,
let's say you want to umount "/home", which is a separate partition.
The command

   fuser -m /home

will list the process ids which are accessing any file under /home.
Compare that to the output of "ps aux" to see which processes you
need to terminate in order to be able to umount /home.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :