Re: Installing a "backport"

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 20:14:56 -0400 (EDT), Gary L. Roach wrote:

> Needing some project management software, I decided to install redmine.
> I purposely keep my system at the stable release. Redmine was marked as
> [backports] ie it's been pulled down from testing or experimental. OK
> thats fine, except when I tried to install the package most of the
> required library and support packages were too old to support redmine.
> If I update the individual required packages, will it break my existing
> stable software. Please be sure you are correct before replying.

I don't think you understand backports.  Backports is an entirely separate
repository from stable, testing, unstable, and experimental.  See my web
page http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/tp600.htm#Web for an example of
installing a package from backports.  In the above example, the
flashplugin-nonfree package is installed from lenny-backports.  There are
a few wrinkles involved; so be sure to read carefully.

By the way, saying something like "please be sure you are correct before
replying" is a good way to get no replies at all.  No-one is infallible.
But I took pity on you and replied anyway, despite my human frailties.
I don't work for you; so you can't fire me.  And you have no support
contract with me; so you can't sue me.  My advice comes free of charge
and free of liability.  Take it with however many grains of salt you think
it's worth, and use it, if you choose to do so, entirely at your own risk.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :