Re: Theoretical drive swapidge.

Ron Johnson put forth on 3/19/2010 2:24 AM:

> 7200RPM (remember, that's 1200RPS) drives get *hot*.  I wouldn't put one
> in a laptop.  (It's one of the tradeoffs you make for buying something
> that small.)

Ron, your calculator is borked.  A 7200 rpm drive spins at 120 rotations per
second, not 1200.  And they don't get all that hot, nothing like a CPU or
GPU IC.  My WD 500GB 7.2K SATA runs a pretty constant 26C (95F)--lower than
core human body temperature.  This is a 3.5" drive in a server vs a 2.5"
drive in a laptop, but as another OP noted, his laptop 7.2K drive only runs
about 10C hotter due to the constricted airflow environment.

15K rpm drives are the really hot ones.  And you won't find one in a laptop
any time soon.  An SSD of equivalent capacity is about the same price as a
15K drive anyway and much more thermally friendly.

--
Stan