Re: Change In Restarting Services (slightly OT)

>> I haven't been active in Debian for two years back when Lenny was
>> still in 'testing' and noticed that for some reason it is no longer
>> protocol to restart network services using the 'init.d' scripts. I
>> also noticed the same for Ubuntu (which I don't use or could care
>> about) and am trying to understand what is the correct way now for
>> Debian and what changed? I did a search on Google but didn't turn up
>> any results.
>> Is it no longer correct to run:
>> /etc/init.d/network restart

> I've looked into what is on my Lenny and see '/etc/init.d/networking'
> and '/etc/init.d/network-manager', but no '/etc/init.d/network'. Was
> there once an '/etc/init.d/network'? I don't remember.

/etc/init.d/network is the RHEL equivalent.

> Also, about the reason for the existence of 'invoke-rc.d'? It appears
> from my reading of man invoke-rc.d that this interface is a place
> where special processing can be added to Debian packages that need to
> manipulate an init script, and that it should be OK for a single
> user/self-admin to invoke the scripts directly (using sudo or su, of
> course). Am I right in this?

No idea what special processing you are referring to but, when I
started using Debian, I looked for the equivalent of RHEL's chkconfig
and service to set up and control init scripts and found update-rc.d
and invoke-rc.d. AFAIK,
/etc/init.d/networking restart
and
invoke-rc.d networking restart