Re: Why does installing gnome packages versioned 2.28+6 insist on installing gnash?

On 3/17/2010 6:48 AM, Liam O'Toole wrote:
On 2010-03-17, Mark Allums<mark@allums.com>  wrote:
On 2010-03-17, Mark Allums<mark@allums.com>   wrote:
Why does GNOME require Gnash?  And what can I do to put a stop to it?

Look at the following metapackages, their descriptions and dependencies:

      gnome
      gnome-desktop-environment
      gnome-core

Choose the one which best suits your purposes and install it.

Oddly, for some reason, they all require Gnash.  I'm rooting for Gnash,
I hope Gnash works out in the end, and with HTML5 video tag, maybe it
will, but on my system, in Sqeeze, all three packages are installed,
they all require each other, and they all require Gnash, which at the
moment, is not my first choice.  At all.

I'm surprised to hear that gnome-core requires gnash. It's certainly not
the case on Lenny:

$ apt-cache depends gnome-core
gnome-core
   Depends: gnome-control-center
   Depends: eog
   Depends: gedit
   Depends: gnome-applets
   Depends: gnome-icon-theme
   Depends: gnome-menus
   Depends: gnome-panel
   Depends: gnome-session
   Depends: gnome-settings-daemon
   Depends: gnome-terminal
  |Depends: metacity
   Depends: compiz-gnome
   Depends: nautilus
  |Depends: rarian-compat
   Depends: scrollkeeper
     rarian-compat
   Depends: yelp
   Suggests: gnome-desktop-environment

Which release are you running?

Current Squeeze.

eog
gedit
gnome-applets
gnome-control-center
gnome-icon-theme
gnome-menus
gnome-panel
gnome-power-manager
gnome-session
gnome-settings-daemon
gnome-terminal
gvfs
metacity
mutter
nautilus
yelp

suggests gnome-desktop-environment

There are several things. One is gnome-desktop-environment. Suggestions and recommendations get added automatically, if I don't watch out. Can't figure out why.

GDE depends on gnome-core. Gnome depends on GDE. None of the three currently installed depends on gnash according to apt-cache, but updating any of the three or gnome-accessibility tries to install gnash. Go figure.