Evince rendering the New Maintainers guide improperly

downloading the Debian New Maintainer guide from the debian website at

as a PDF and viewing using evince renders some of the index wrongly -
The stuff in the sidepanel in the index under chapter 4 is rendered as

	=1spcontrol file
	=1spcopyright file
	=1spchangelog file
	=1sprules file

while on the one packaged in Squeeze renders correctly
	`control' file
and so on.

To my surprise the version packaged in Squeeze and even the one in Sid
seems to render correctly - Why is this? I have uploaded an image of
the problem here:

best regards
Andreas Rönnquist <gusnan@gusnan.se>