Re: Fan running constantly after kernel upgrade to 2.6.32-3

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 14:16:15 -0400 (EDT), Eric Sheesley wrote:
> I have a Dell Studio 1557 Core i7 720qm.  I've noticed that in my
> Debian Squeeze boot (my default) the fan runs much louder than when
> booted into Windows 7.  The temps are about the same but seems like
> the fans don't reduce as quickly in debian for some reason.  In the
> most recent kernel upgrade I noticed that once the fan speeds up
> during heavy processing it doesn't slow back down even after the temp
> drops for some time.  Any ideas?

I am not an expert on this by any means, but my first guess would
be a problem extracting or setting thermal sensor limits.  I would
issue commands like

   dmesg|less
   less /var/log/syslog

and see if you can see any error messages related to thermal sensors.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :