Re: More Xorg

Mark Allums schreef:
On 3/16/2010 11:42 AM, Sven Joachim wrote:
Why not use nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel-source from non-free which
_are_ available as regular Debian packages? They do not suffer from the
problems that you describe here.

They suffer from other problems.  The main one being that they are
usually uninstallable.  At least, in my experience,
apt/aptitude/Synaptic refuse to install it.

Because there is usually no pre-built kernel module¹; you have to build
one yourself, e.g. with module-assistant:

# aptitude install nvidia-kernel-source
# m-a a-i nvidia-kernel-source
# aptitude install nvidia-glx

Where is this documented, or in other words, how are we expected to know this?
By rtfm: http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

Sjoerd