Re: hp laserjet 1200 repeated printer-state-message="/usr/lib/cups/backend/hp failed" usb

On 11:40 Tue 16 Mar     , Camaleón wrote:
> I'm not a CUPS guru, but what I understand for a "backend" is a method
> used to connect the printer, a kind of "virtual interface" that allows
> the communication between your printer and CUPS.
>
> Mmmm, better "man backend" to get detailed info :-)

Cool!!!

> 1/ A backend connection method: a) local: usb, lpt b) remote/networked:
> socket, ipp, samba c) virtual: fax, pdf, etc...

this is the first step on the web page where it 'searchs' for possible printers
and usually gives me 2 or 3 different copies of my hp printers. never understood
that till now.

> 2/ A driver (PostScript printers are just fine with PPD description files
> but others need drivers to work)

now i guess you are saying that the backends are failing me.

> I always avoid using "hplip" as backend and drivers on my HP laserjet
> printers because I find PPD files a cleaner way to handle them. Hplip
> adds many fancy options (toner and paper status) that I do not really
> need (networked HP printers have their own embedded web server to see
> detailed information on the printer).
>
> So, I would try with another backend (if "usb" is available in the wizard
> when adding a new printer, or by direct input using "lpadmin").

i will look to see what comes up at work this morning and at Dad and Mom's tonight

> >> Have you tried with "usb" backend? Type "lpinfo -v" to see the
> >> available backends for your system. Put here the output.
> >
> > Rashi:/home/mlaks# lpinfo -v
> > network ipp
> > network http
> > network beh
> > network lpd
> > direct scsi
> > direct hp:/par/HP_LaserJet_1200?device=/dev/parport0 direct hal
> > network socket
> > direct parallel:/dev/lp0
> > serial serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
> > network smb
> > direct hpfax
>
> I see not "direct hal" :-?

what is direct hal?

> > this is currently on the machine that I reverted to direct connection by
> > parport parallel port.
> >
> > I will try to do it on the other machines tomorrow.
>
> So, if using parallel port it just works? Then that means the error comes
> from the "hp" bakend :-?
>
> > /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb
> >
> > here is the output
> > /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb
> > DEBUG: list_devices_libusb
> > DEBUG: usb_find_busses=5
> > DEBUG: usb_find_devices=6
> >

> > (recall I switched on this machine to the parallel port for a while)
>
> Then the output seems normal as the printer cannot be detected on USB
> port.
>
> >>lpq
> > here is the output
> >
> > HP_LaserJet_1200 is ready
> > no entries
>
> O.K.
>
> >> Also, the recommended driver for your printer is "pxlmono":
> >>
> >> http://www.openprinting.org/printer/HP/HP-LaserJet_1200
> >
> > So why does cups on my machine say Postscript en ?
>
> Because you can select any available driver for your printer, that is,
> you can use "pxlmono", "hplip" or "standard postscript".

> In fact, different drivers provide different quality and speed
> printinting output so many people have several printers added using
> different drivers in each of them (one hp 1200 printer instance with
> "PostScript" driver, another hp 1200 instance with "hplip" driver and so
> on...) :-)

???? Is hplip a backend or a driver???

so which is 'better' or 'faster' the postscript or pxlmono? I guess some for
some stuff and some for others. Any discussion that you have found anywhere
I notice that my printer is slow at times for printing pdfs....
Any references that you can share?

> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

You are very helpful! Thank you for any more light you can share!

Mitchell