Re: hp laserjet 1200 repeated printer-state-message="/usr/lib/cups/backend/hp failed" usb

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 22:59:46 -0400, Mitchell Laks wrote:

> On 10:49 Mon 15 Mar     , Camaleón wrote:
>
>> It seems you are using the "hp" backend and failed what left the
>> printer in a "paused" status.
>
> Thank you. Can you explain what you mean by 'backend' vs 'driver'?

I'm not a CUPS guru, but what I understand for a "backend" is a method
used to connect the printer, a kind of "virtual interface" that allows
the communication between your printer and CUPS.

Mmmm, better "man backend" to get detailed info :-)

> I don't know what I am using. I have loaded many many cups packages,
> including hplip and I have no idea what I am using. I made a list of all
> the debian packages and included it in one of my mails.
>
> I am just blindly following 'cargo cult of cups' and setting options to
> control access in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and chosing "Postscript
> recommended"  in localhost:631 because I know that my hp1200 or hp1300
> is a postscript printer.

In brief, for every printer you want to configure in CUPS you have to
define at least:

1/ A backend connection method: a) local: usb, lpt b) remote/networked:
socket, ipp, samba c) virtual: fax, pdf, etc...
2/ A driver (PostScript printers are just fine with PPD description files
but others need drivers to work)

I always avoid using "hplip" as backend and drivers on my HP laserjet
printers because I find PPD files a cleaner way to handle them. Hplip
adds many fancy options (toner and paper status) that I do not really
need (networked HP printers have their own embedded web server to see
detailed information on the printer).

So, I would try with another backend (if "usb" is available in the wizard
when adding a new printer, or by direct input using "lpadmin").

>> Have you tried with "usb" backend? Type "lpinfo -v" to see the
>> available backends for your system. Put here the output.
>
> Rashi:/home/mlaks# lpinfo -v
> network ipp
> network http
> network beh
> network lpd
> direct scsi
> direct hp:/par/HP_LaserJet_1200?device=/dev/parport0 direct hal
> network socket
> direct parallel:/dev/lp0
> serial serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
> network smb
> direct hpfax

I see not "direct hal" :-?

> this is currently on the machine that I reverted to direct connection by
> parport parallel port.
>
> I will try to do it on the other machines tomorrow.

So, if using parallel port it just works? Then that means the error comes
from the "hp" bakend :-?

> /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb
>
> here is the output
> /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb
> DEBUG: list_devices_libusb
> DEBUG: usb_find_busses=5
> DEBUG: usb_find_devices=6
>

> (recall I switched on this machine to the parallel port for a while)

Then the output seems normal as the printer cannot be detected on USB
port.

>>lpq
> here is the output
>
> HP_LaserJet_1200 is ready
> no entries

O.K.

>> Also, the recommended driver for your printer is "pxlmono":
>>
>> http://www.openprinting.org/printer/HP/HP-LaserJet_1200
>
> So why does cups on my machine say Postscript en ?

Because you can select any available driver for your printer, that is,
you can use "pxlmono", "hplip" or "standard postscript".

In fact, different drivers provide different quality and speed
printinting output so many people have several printers added using
different drivers in each of them (one hp 1200 printer instance with
"PostScript" driver, another hp 1200 instance with "hplip" driver and so

Greetings,

--
Camaleón