Re: Which Simple Video Design Application?

> On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 15:30 -0700, Hugo Wau wrote:
>>

>> --- On Mon, 3/15/10, John A. Sullivan III
>> <jsullivan@opensourcedevel.com> wrote:
>>
>>         From: John A. Sullivan III <jsullivan@opensourcedevel.com>
>>         Subject: Re: Which Simple Video Design Application?
>>         To: "Hugo Wau" <wauhugo@yahoo.com>
>>         Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>>         Date: Monday, March 15, 2010, 5:35 AM
>>
>>         On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 00:46 -0700, Hugo Wau wrote:
>>         > Hello,
>>         >
>>         > Running Lenny do I want to create a simple but lengthy
>> (up
>>         to three
>>         > hours) MP4 video in Youtube resolution  which is made of
>>         nothing but
>>         > text.
>>         > The display should show transcript or translation of a
>>         speech
>>         > (actually MP3), which is being played back.
>>         >
>>         > Above the scolled text should be a permanent headline
>>         showing the
>>         > title and the chapter number and probably a timestamp.
>>         > Below this headline should the speech-text be scolled up
>>         (pixel line
>>         > by pixel line).
>>         >
>>         > I have not been successful in searching through google,
>>         maybe you can
>>         > give some hint concerning the expressions to seach for.
>>         >
>>         > I am an absolutely newbie concerning video.
>>         > With which applications or scripting tool can I achieve
>> such
>>         in Debian
>>         > Lenny?
>>         > Do you know of examples?
>>         > What would you recommend?
>>         > <snip>
>>         >
>>         >
>>         There may be simpler ones for what you want to do but I
>> have
>>         always used
>>         Cinelerra (http://www.cinelerra.org/) - John
>>
>>         Thank you John,
>>         I have installed Cinelerra and it can apparently load my
>> MP3
>>         audio file.
>>         But now is the question, how to make the video part from
>> text,
>>         which is in textfiles?
>>         Do I need a script, which displays and captures frame by
>>         frame?
>>         Or could I use a tool, which was designed to create
>> subtitles
>>         for to display the transcript in synchronization with the
>>         audio?
>>
>>         Hugo Wau
>>

> <grin> I'm no video expert so any advice is HIGHLY suspect. My son
> is
> actually a video editor (and would gladly contract any side work :)
> )
> but I'm an ignoramus. I would guess you could take the text and turn
> it
> [...]
.

One option is to create subtitle files and then use them to add hard
subs, ie included in the image data - not as a separate file. The
most time consuming part will be creating the sub file and having it
sync properly with the audio. This tool looks like it can assist you
with doing this. http://home.gna.org/subtitleeditor/ Once you have
the sub file then you should be able to add them as a layer in a
video editor (probably will be the only layer) and do things like
fade in/out as well. Lastly add the audio file and then create the
final.

HTH, Tim.