escputil won't clean printer heads

On my Lenny system, I installed the following packages:  cupsys cupsys-bsd
cupsys-client libcupsimage2 cups-driver-gutenprint cupsys-driver-gutenprint
gs-esp escputil.  Everything seems to go fine with printing, and also ink level
is correctly detected with: `escputil -i -r /dev/usb/lp0'.  Only, when I do:

 $ escputil -c

to clean printer's heads, nothing happens.

Please help with this issue.  My old printer is an Epson C20UX.

Thanks for any help
Rodolfo

P.S.: the printer's heads are properly cleaned with MS Windows utility.