Re: hp laserjet 1200 repeated printer-state-message="/usr/lib/cups/backend/hp failed" usb

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 05:55:05 -0400 (EDT), Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 14 Mar 2010, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 2010-03-14 22:28, Mitchell Laks wrote:
>>> Note that cups has always been flakey for me. So I have not infrequently had
>>> to reinstall the printer driver to get it working over the years.
>>> I have used debian since 2002 or so. Before that redhat 7.3.
>>
>> Cups has been the opposite for me: rock stable.  Since I run Sid,
>> I'm of course constantly getting point upgrades, but as for
>> problems: nada.
>>
>> My system is pretty different though: a Dell 3100cn network printer
>> that uses some Lexmark driver.
>>

> I've always found Cups a waste of time and space, I get better results,
> without hassles, using lprng and magicfilter. This is on a number of
> different printers - Kyocera, Samsung, Brother  ...

CUPS has been installed by default since Etch, I think; so I try to
use it.  But there have been times that I have had to revert to
lpr/apsfilter, which is what I used in Sarge.  For example, I was
trying to get an IBM Proprinter II to work.  The Lenny version of
CUPS did not have a driver for it.  The Squeeze version of CUPS did
have a driver for it, but it did not work.  I had to revert to
lpr/apsfilter, which did have a driver for it, and it worked fine.
>From there I was able to do some debugging and come up with the
appropriate ghostscript command line options to convert a postscript
file to IBM Proprinter II native printer language.  From there,
I was able to fix the broken PPD file in Squeeze, which backported
to Lenny successfully as well.  (I used three different computers
to test the printer, moving the printer from computer to computer
to minimize re-installs.)

I think part of the problem may be that the CUPS people are trying
to write drivers for old printers that they don't have.  Therefore,
they can't test them.  The drivers in lpr/apsfilter were developed
back in the day when these printers were much newer, and chances
are the drivers were actually tested on those very printers.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :