Re: hp laserjet 1200 repeated ... (part 2)

On 23:19 Sun 14 Mar     , Ron Johnson wrote:

> Presumably you've tried simply bouncing the cups daemon with:
> /etc/init.d/cups restart

of course, to no avail.

> You could also do something mind-blowingly crude like adding code to
> /etc/rc.local to reinstall the packages(s) at (for your father)
> boot-time or (for your work PC) to root's crontab at 3AM.

it isnt a package install issue. In fact this is one of my main issues with cups.
Cups is the ONLY package on my computer that requires any gui action at all.

It is anti linux! I need to log in to an apache server on
localhost:631 to choose
the driver for my (usb) connected printer and answer stupid questions.

This is really annoying to me.
I do everything else on the command line. I can't find any decent
documentation to use any simple file editing to control this!!!

I know what to edit in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to run the server but nothing about choosing
the driver and installing it for a printer connected directly to the machine __without__ using the
web interface.

If you know how to that would be helpful. I am willing to have it reinstall the printer
hourly or even every 5 minutes if necessary via cron :).

Mitchell