Re: need help with xorg.conf

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:21:29 -0500 (EST), Paul E Condon wrote:
> On 20100313_223702, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> I've done some digging.  Apparently, there is an Option statement
>> That is valid for at least some drivers:
>>
>>    Option "NoDDC"
>>
>> that can be put into the "Device" section, but it is not documented
>> in the man page for xorg.conf.  I'll have to play around to see if
>> I can get it to work.  But that will have to wait for tomorrow.
>> It's time for me to go to bed.
>
> The option UseBIOS documented in man savage, not in man xorg.conf
> There is a list of driver man pages in man xorg.conf

Yes, I know.  But I'm not talking about the UseBIOS option right now.
I'm talking about the NoDDC option.  I did find it documented
on the Internet.  For example,
see this link -> http://www.x.org/archive/X11R6.8.0/doc/rendition5.html.
The option was still under development then, and was documented as
a "previews of coming attractions" option.  The NoDDC option is referred
to in man savage, but the NoDDC option is not a savage-specific option.
It is a generic option for the "Device" section and should be documented
in man xorg.conf.  I have also seen bug reports complaining about the
lack of documentation for the NoDDC option.  For example,
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=364610.

The above bug report implies that NoDDC is specific to the s3virge driver,
but it is actually a generic option that apparently works with all
drivers.  I just tried it on my machine with the nv driver for an
Nvidia video card.  It works great!  I can now override the DDC2/EDID-probed
values if I want or need to!  But why is the option not documented?
Is that X.Org's version of a disclaimer?  The man pages for radeon and
savage allude to it, but don't document it.  The man page for rendition
actually documents it, but as a "soon-to-be-implemented feature" rather than
as a production option.  Oh well, at least it works.

Sorry to rain on your parade, Ron, -- er, I mean shine sun on your
funeral procession -- but you lose this time.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :