"SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address"

Hi,

This seems like an easy problem but I've searched all over without explicit solution.

I'm fiddling with a computer which I've not turn on for a while. My ethernet interface which comes with the motherboard did not appear (not with ifconfig -a), so I plugged in another ethernet card and now it shows on ifconfig -a. But LAN connection is still not working. I noticed that eth0 is down and tries "ifup eth0" and it says "SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address" twice and "failed to bring up eth0".

I donno what the problem is. The /etc/network/networking script was a working script before.

dmesg | grep "eth0" shows nothing alarming. It says RealTek RTL8139 something something IRQ 20 Identified 8139 chip type blah blah.

What can I do to get it back on?

Timothy