Re: need help with xorg.conf

On 2010-03-13 16:06, Stephen Powell wrote:
On 2010-03-13 13:57, Stephen Powell wrote:
As I mentioned in another post,
there are some things, such as HorizSync and VertRefresh, that cannot
be overridden for a plug-and-play monitor.  I don't like that trend at all.

Incorrect values might bzzt the monitor??

Possibly, but not likely.  In the early days, some of the cheapest
monitors did not have protection circuitry that will shut them
down if they are driven beyond safe limits.  But as another poster pointed
out, any monitor modern enough to support plug-and-play (DDC2/EDID)
is almost certain to have internal protection circuitry that will
shut it down if driven outside of safe limits.

Nevertheless, in the unlikely event that I fry my monitor by overriding the
EDID specs, I asked for it, didn't I?

Stephen, Stephen, Stephen. There's a butt-load more lawyers than there are engineers, and there's 1500 metric ass loads more stupid people than there are engineers.

"I want control!!!"
"OK, you have control."
Bzzt.
"Why didn't you protect me from myself?"

                                      I'm an engineer.

0.000029% of the population.

                                                       Give me full
control.  If I fry my monitor, I have no-one to blame but myself.

Three words: hot McDonalds coffee.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given
us arms."  Mike Ditka