Re: need help with xorg.conf

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 16:34:15 -0500 (EST), Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 2010-03-13 13:57, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> As I mentioned in another post,
>> there are some things, such as HorizSync and VertRefresh, that cannot
>> be overridden for a plug-and-play monitor.  I don't like that trend at all.
>

> Incorrect values might bzzt the monitor??

Possibly, but not likely.  In the early days, some of the cheapest
monitors did not have protection circuitry that will shut them
down if they are driven beyond safe limits.  But as another poster pointed
out, any monitor modern enough to support plug-and-play (DDC2/EDID)
is almost certain to have internal protection circuitry that will
shut it down if driven outside of safe limits.

Nevertheless, in the unlikely event that I fry my monitor by overriding the
EDID specs, I asked for it, didn't I?  I'm an engineer.  Give me full
control.  If I fry my monitor, I have no-one to blame but myself.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :