Re: need help with xorg.conf

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 00:27:48 -0500 (EST), Mark Allums wrote:
> First of all, thanks for the running commentary, it is well done.
> Second, it shows that X tends to ignore stuff it finds inconvenient.
> From one other post, we see that xorg.conf is optional these days, and
> from a different post (from OP), we see that a somewhat obscure setting
> is required if you *do* use an xorg.conf file.  (Option "UseBIOS" "off"
> worked.)

This option is specific to the savage driver and is only needed if
the monitor's resolution is not supported by the video BIOS.

> This shows the tendency of Linux more and more these days to eschew the
> old philosophy of using simple, user-edited configurations, and instead
> try to add more and more "magic".  Not sure I like this trend.

I hear you.  For me, I don't mind if the software is smart enough
to figure some things out on its own.  But I want a way to override things
if the defaults are not to my liking.  As I mentioned in another post,
there are some things, such as HorizSync and VertRefresh, that cannot
be overridden for a plug-and-play monitor.  I don't like that trend at all.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :