Re: need help with xorg.conf

On 3/12/2010 12:11 PM, Stephen Powell wrote:
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 10:58:08 -0500 (EST), Paul E Condon wrote:
On 20100312_092355, Stephen Powell wrote:

Paul, please provide the following information:

(5) The contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log
      	There follows 858 lines of the above named file:

OK, we learn a lot from the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.

And things are all downhill from there.

The bottom line: the problem is not with your monitor.  The problem is that
the savage driver wants to use the video BIOS to set the video mode.

The single most important thing you must have in any xorg.conf file is

    Option  "UseBIOS"   "off"

This goes in the "Device" section.  If you need more help, let me know,
and I'll try to come up with a specific xorg.conf file for you.

First of all, thanks for the running commentary, it is well done. Second, it shows that X tends to ignore stuff it finds inconvenient. From one other post, we see that xorg.conf is optional these days, and from a different post (from OP), we see that a somewhat obscure setting is required if you *do* use an xorg.conf file. (Option "UseBIOS" "off" worked.)

This shows the tendency of Linux more and more these days to eschew the old philosophy of using simple, user-edited configurations, and instead try to add more and more "magic". Not sure I like this trend.

Mark Allums