Re: KDE and Squeeze

> I have been using kde4 for over a year. The only issues that I have
> had are the lack of a couple of programs that haven't been ported from
> kde3 to kde4 yet but I have managed with out them. You didn't explain
> what your problems are with kde4 so I am going to have to guess here.
> Yes the UI and desktop are alittle bit different. But after poking
> around in the
>   options for about 2 hours I managed to get kde4 working just about
>   the
> same as kde3.

        Not that I could tell.  OTOH, I didn't have a lot of time on my hands
for playing with the UI.  I had to get the router working, and since
the router is headless and almost all access to the router is via ssh
over a very slow broadband link, the GUI just wasn't a big deal.  The
lock-ups it was causing were far more trouble than it was even remotely
worth, so I trashed it completely.  It would have been somewhat nioce
to have it available (especially Kpackage) while I was setting it up,
but now that it is in production, it's not an issue at all.

        My servers are on a secure network, unaccessible from outside the
network, and I almost never do anything that doesn't require root
access on them, so I set them up with a chooser that has root as one of
its selections defaulted in the KDM chooser.  I didn't see how to do
that in KDE4.

        In KDE, the superfolder list (Lost & Found, Utilities, System,
Multimedia, etc.) are all displayed on the left side of the screen
whenever one clicks on the Kstart Icon.  This is true in both KDE3 and
KDE4. In KDE3, however, hovering the mouse cursor over any given
superfolder brings up the list of contents inside the superfolder.  To
see the contents of the next superfolder up or down, one merely slides
the mouse cursor up or down, respectively, to see the contents of that
superfolder.  In KDE4, one must actually drill into the folder to see
its contents.  To browse the contents of the next superfolder down, one
must exit the current superfolder, figure out where one was previously,
move to the next superfolder up  or down in the list, and drill into
it.  It's tedious, annoying, and time consuming.

        The fact it locked up the system tight as a drum every third or fourth
time I switched windows hardly endeared it to me, either.  The only
recourse was to hit the big, red switch.  Not good.