Re: KDE and Squeeze

> I have replaced kpackage with "gdebi-kde", gdebi lets you install
> local deb packages resolving and installing its dependencies. apt does
> the same, but only for remote (http, ftp) located packages.
>
> I also use synaptic.

        I've used both somewhat extensively.  I dislike synaptic.  Kpackage is
much easier to use.  Indeed, it's probably my main reason for wanting
to use KDE versus Gnome, along with KDE's integration with KDM.  This
integration is also goofy under KDE4.

>> ...is there a way to
>> get KDE4 to look and behave like KDE3?
>

> I think the big difference is that kde4 is using dolphin for file
> management and not konqueror, but you can setup konqueror to be used
> as the filemanager just like it was in kde3, here's a little recipe I
> made to give me both a "User Filemanager" and a "SuperUser
> Filemanager":

        I rarely use a file manager.

> OK, you can get red and blue icons for the kde4 menu from here:
> www.flickr.com/photos/23959276@N07/sets/72157622753407463/ I use the
> classic menu, if you don't know you can right click on the start
> button and change to the classic menu.

        I may have missed that.  I know it is in KDE3, but I don't seem to
recall it being in KDE4, that I saw.  I probably need to load another
(non-production) system with Squeeze and play around with it more.  I
could not afford the nearly continuous lock-ups on the Linux router I
was building, so I got rid of the GUIs entirely.

> Right click on the menu start button and choose edit menu and click on
> the System Folder, that's where we are going to add the new file
> managers,

        I'm not really concerned about the file manager.