Re: need help with xorg.conf

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: need help with xorg.conf
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 23:42:16 -0700

I have a cheap flat screen monitor on one of my computers. I works
nicely, but not perfectly with Lenny. But in a much inferior way when
I switch to Squeeze.

In particular:

The screen is 1366x768 according to the user manual that came with it.
Under Lenny, X chooses to run it at 1280x768 which is OK, but
Under Squeeze, X chooses 1024x768 which makes things that should be
circle into broad elipses. And wastes a lot of the resolution on
over-size characters.

I would like to try composing some configuration lines and inserting
them in a conf file, xorg.conf, I think, but I'm not sure.

Some quidance would be greatly appreciated.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Hi Paul:
I read thru the install log from xorg & it looks like everything is
doing as it should. I am wondering if this new flat screen is a
letterbox shaped screen or a standard shaped screen. I suspect this is
an "aspect ratio" issue rather than a "screen resolution" issue though
it may be a combination of both. I have little experience with the
letterbox screens but I am planing to buy one soon & am studying the
list & other tings for compatibility as I do not want to incur this type
of issue. Please post your solution when you get it going correctly.
Best wishes!
--
John Foster