Re: need help with xorg.conf

On 20100312_102211, John W Foster wrote:
> [...]
<snip>
> Hi Paul:
> I read thru the install log from xorg & it looks like everything is
> doing as it should. I am wondering if this new flat screen is a
> letterbox shaped screen or a standard shaped screen. I suspect this is
> an "aspect ratio" issue rather than a "screen resolution" issue though
> it may be a combination of both. I have little experience with the
> letterbox screens but I am planing to buy one soon & am studying the
> list & other tings for compatibility as I do not want to incur this type
> of issue. Please post your solution when you get it going correctly.
> Best wishes!
> --
> John Foster

The pixels are specified to be 0.252mm(H)x0.252mm(V), which implies an
aspect ratio of 1366:768. This is close to 16:9, but not exact. To be
exact would have to be e.g. 1366:768.375 or 1365.333:768. Both have
fractional number of pixels, which of course is impossible. So there
must be some 'engineering hack'. I have no idea what ugly hacks are
done to make beautiful Xwindows design concept fit with ugly real world
of integer arithmetic ;-)

What really puzzles me is the fact that two recent installs of X arrive
at different kludge solutions -on-the-same-hardware-.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net