Re: need help with xorg.conf

On 2010-03-12 00:42, Paul E Condon wrote:
I have a cheap flat screen monitor on one of my computers. I works
nicely, but not perfectly with Lenny. But in a much inferior way when
I switch to Squeeze.

In particular:

The screen is 1366x768 according to the user manual that came with it.
Under Lenny, X chooses to run it at 1280x768 which is OK, but
Under Squeeze, X chooses 1024x768 which makes things that should be
circle into broad elipses. And wastes a lot of the resolution on
over-size characters.
I would like to try composing some configuration lines and inserting
them in a conf file, xorg.conf, I think, but I'm not sure.

Some quidance would be greatly appreciated.

Move away your existing xorg.conf and then try again. Log in as a separate user and see what happens.

When moving from a 1280x1024 monitor to one that's 1980x1024, I got really really concerned because the new monitor only functioned at 1280x1024. Then I logged in as root, and it was 1980x1024. Very puzzling!

Finally, I thought to peek in the Control Panel, and saw that the Display (or whatever GNOME calls it) -- for *myself* -- was set to 1280x1024. Two seconds later, I'm at 1980x1024.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given
us arms."  Mike Ditka