Re: /boot partition changes when it should not

Clive McBarton wrote:
Up to now, I never heard of any advantage whatsoever of ext2 over ext3.

ext3 now differs from ext2, aside from the journal. We can run ext3 without one, so there's no real reason to continue to use ext2. One could say the same thing about ext3 and ext4, actually, but that's a widely misunderstood subject, and I wouldn't want to start some flames.

That's a highly interesting point. It doesn't? I thought everything in
the boot process mounts everything it finds read-only until when the
kernel is running. Even the kernel at some point during boot says it now
remounts the / filesystem read-write, hence even that must have been
read-only until then.

Technically it doesn't (because it doesn't have to, and because it has to remain OS-agnostic), but you're right, it should probably not mount anything rw anyway, and maybe it doesn't. That question would probably better be asked in the grub list directly, we're only speculating.

And it may be maintaining that field when it reads
the kernel image or the initial RAM disk image.

As I said, nothing in the filesystem metadata got updated.

Well it has to be metadata. One solution would be to get the offset(s) of the diff(s), and see how it compares to the on-disk structure. Or ask this on the extfs list.

-thib