Re: /boot partition changes when it should not

Stephen Powell wrote:
You might try switching to lilo as your boot loader and see if that
solves your problem.  I use lilo as my boot loader and have for a long
time.  I may be able to assist you if you have difficulty.

For the record, grub can also load a kernel and an initrd by just providing a block list, as you described for lilo. Since the filesystem is made read-only, this shouldn't be too ugly and certainly worth trying.

-thib