what is this thing?

I did a download via a torrent file, with results I don't understand.
Rtorrent created a directory and put some files in it, all in a
seemingly normal manner. But the stuff turned out to be a fake, so I
tried to remove it. The result was that the non-hidden files went
away, but two hidden files remained. When I tried to remove them,
nothing happened except the names of the files changed. How does this
happen?

Thanks,

tom arnall
arcata

"Revive industrial democracy and ditch the oligarchs."
-- Jim Hightower