Re: how are debconf and dpkg-deb related?

Hi,

debconf is an infrastructure where a package ask configuration question
to the sys admin.  There are few different front end for sys admin to
interact with debconf.

On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 10:58:18PM -0800, vikram wrote:
> hi,
>
> I am studying the Debian package management system. I am having
> trouble figuring out how debconf and dpkg-deb are related.

read "man debconf" and "man dpkg-deb" as starter.

> Heres how i understand the package management system:
>
> dpkg-deb does the actual installation/removal of packages

Well not just that.  Ot also creates packages.

> dpkg is a frontend to dpkg-deb
>
> apt is  front end to dpkg

dpkg works on package data.

apt is infrastructure which let you access archive based on several
information.  apt coms with its own command line frontends: apt-get /
apt-cache.

> Synaptic,aptitude etc are frontends to apt.

Please read "Chapter 2. Debian package management"
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html