Re: Two Lenny problems

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you saying that the installer does not recognize existing partitions already on the hard disk? Or are
you saying that it won't let you create more than five partitions during
installation?  Or are you saying that only five different mount points
were offered?

The choices are: One whole partition, three partitions, or five partitions. I didn't see anything that would allow creation of more.

And is there any advantage to installing LVM?

On the S390 platform, a typical 3390-3 DASD device is about 2.3G.  If you
want a partition larger than this you can use LVM to create a logical
partition which consists of multiple physical partitions, and you can
keep adding space as necessary.  There are other uses for it, I'm sure,
but that is my primary experience with it.

Is it right to see LVM as software to combine several HD's? Does it have any use with respect to a single 1.5TB HD?

 There are proprietary drivers available.
From reading the list, people either swear by them or swear at them.
When they work, they generally work really well, but they break easily
with, for example, security updates to the system.

Yeah, I just read a few comments on nVidia proprietary drivers. Not all that promising. The video is sufficient for regular tasks, but I didn't check DVD video performance. It is not a fatal flaw, just another nice performance feature to have.