Re: Vfat or NTFS?

#include <hallo.h>
* Roger Leigh [Sun, Mar 07 2010, 07:20:04PM]:

> > I am wondering now whether to convert my Vfat partitions to NTFS as there
> > are some advantages. For example I recently forgot about the 4GB file
> > restriction of Vfat when trying to download a DVD iso - it got to 4GB then
> > gave up so I had to redownload again to the NTFS volume. I suspect NTFS is
> > more reliable at least in Windows. Are there any potential issues in Linux -
> > e.g. reliability / speed.
> >
> > Should I go NTFS now for my data files? (keeping the main Lenny root
> > filesystem on an ext3 partition).
>
> Just my experience but:
>
> 1) VFAT is a terrible filesystem with all sorts of restrictions, not least
>    filesize and encoding issues.

The worst problem with VFAT is IMHO the stupid behavior WRT letter case,
i.e. you get some other filename than you originally intended to store
to which confuses tools like rsync. The encoding issues are usually not
that bad.

> 2) NTFS (using ntfs-3g) performs terribly on Linux.  The FUSE driver is

I disagree. I get about half of the raw speed of the drive from a
Windows system partition. Ext3 is not much better on a Linux system
partition. There were, however, combinations of kernel versions and
ntfs-3g versions where performance really sucked.

>    slow, and this makes data transfer a very lengthy affair.  No idea

Cannot agree on that either. FUSE driver needs to copy data around and
therefore having some spare CPU power helps a lot and many people have
multi-core CPUs nowadays.

Regards,
Eduard.

--
<schneckal> hat einer von euch schon bind9 installiert?
<eis> das neue root kit? :->