Re: Monitor Resolution issues

On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 15:03:58 +1000, Linux User wrote:

> I have a BenQ 20" G2220HD series monitor, and I was wondering if anyone
> knows what I can put in the Xorg.conf file. I've just switched from
> Debian to Kubuntu briefly for reasons that would take time to explain.
> Debian Lenny 5.0.4 sets a very high resolution and makes everything far
> too small, while Kubuntu gives me 800x600.

Ugh, having a 21,5 inches wide display like yours and 800x600 resolution
is like a crime ;-)

TFT monitors only have one (unique) optimal resolution and for your
display that is set at 1920x1080. Anything below that will render fuzzy
and distorted text and pictures.

What you can do, if you find for whatever reason your texts and images
very small at recommended resolution, is to higher the dpi from 96 to
120, for example. That way anything will be rendered "bigger" but you
still keep the recommended resolution.

> I also wonder what I can do in the configuration file about my graphics
> card if I need to do that. It's a Gigabyte GT220 (nvidia).
>
> Thanks for any help. I'd like to know how I can do things manually
> because the tools on both distributions won't let me change the monitor
> resolution or anything like that.

In GNOME there is a GUI tool to modify screen resolution, named "gnome-
display-properties". I'm quite sure KDE has a similar tool, too.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón