Re: MySQL upgrade failed PLEASE HELP!!!

On 3/6/2010 2:22 PM, Oscar Corte wrote:
Hi all:

Just today I upgraded my Debian Lenny Server, many packages were
upgraded succesfully, but MySQL server wich is not working anymore.

What can I do to restore MySQL server?

Error messages shown are these:

Starting MySQL database server: mysql . . . . . failed!
invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing mysql-server-5.0 (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mysql-server:
mysql-server depends on mysql-server-5.0; however:
Package mysql-server-5.0 is not configured yet.
dpkg error: error processing mysql-server (--configure):

Your update is missing some particular update or installation of another package. (You may be in "dependency hell".)

(Your update failed.)

You should consider upgrading or downgrading certain packages. Which ones you will have to ferret out, but apt/aptitude/synaptic will help.

try

# apt-get -f install

followed by

# dpkg --configure -a

(or vice versa)

You may have a cycle in the dependencies.  (Tree/graph)

To defeat one, on very rare occasions, one who lives on the edge (living in Sid) must install or uninstall a package manually, even to the point of downloading the package .deb manually with a web browser on a separate computer.

In your case, mysql-server is waiting for mysql-server-5.0 to be configured. If they are at different versions, it won't go forward.

Sometimes a line in /etc/apt/apt.conf will help:

API::Immediate-Configure "false"

This line should not remain in apt.conf after you have cleared up the problem---it should be temporary..

(Double-check the syntax.  I am working from memory.)