Re: qtparted and kernel disagree about partitions

<mdresser_l@router.windsormachine.com>:

> >  the

> >> Yes, it is absolutely correct respect to kernel, but the second
> >> sentences is related to the HD (hardware). The first one reffers to
> >> the kernel.
> >>
> >> francisco
> >
> > Are you saying there is a hardware tool provided by Samsung?
> >
> > Anyway, if you look at bug 572618 you will see the solution, it involves
> > two parameters for modules.
> >
> > David
>
> Yes, it has been a norm for many brands, in fact, some tools work on
> many HDs, but i insist it does not look like a hardware problem, it
> looks clearly like kernel problem.
>
> If i were in this situation again, first thing to check, should be
> using the old kernel which worked well. after that, if i have the same
> problem, testing the HD with cfdisk, fdisk and sfdisk should be
> sufficient to discard a hardware problem; first, reading man pages,
> and DO NOT DOING any change, do not writing any thing. Also, there are
> Debian tools that work very efficiently as testdisk, smart-tools (i am
> not sure), and others to check HDs and recover data.

Actually the problem is (as I have pointed out in the bug report) worse
that this, because while the kernel has been updated to take note of
the HPA, the tools such as *parted have not.  So if your disk has an HPA
and you try to partition it using *parted, presumably you will get what
looks like a hardware error, and it will make no sense as the sizes
reported by *parted are the physical ones, not the HPA reduced ones.

David