useradd: Problem joining into a Samba domain

I have an ancient domain, originally started with Red Hat 7.x. It is
running on latest Lenny now, and works fine, except..

Now I try to add a new server into the domain.

I found out that somehow I do not have "add machine script" in smb.cfg

So, I googled and found this:

    /usr/sbin/useradd -d /var/lib/nobody -g 100 -s /bin/false -M %u

Seems reasonable. But joining to the domain still does not work.

Trying locally smbpasswd

     # smbpasswd -a -m lancaster$

Returns an error from useradd:

     _samr_create_user: Running the command `/usr/sbin/useradd -d
/var/lib/nobody -g 65534 -s /bin/false -M lancaster$' gave 2
Failed to add entry for user lancaster$.

I have tried modifying the command, but it always returns that syntax error.

I wonder if anyone happens to have a working command in a Debian Lenny
Samba configuration? Would be grateful for help.

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/